Thursday, April 21, 2022

EOTO #2: Things I Learned From Other Groups

 Through the second round of our "Each One Teach One" presentations, I feel like I learned a whole lot. I was first really interested in the first group's slides on propaganda. I was not aware that the first propaganda dates all the way back to Ancient Greece, where people formed citizen groups to challenge the ideas that they don't like. Propaganda was also used very heavily in the efforts for World War 2, in terms of trying to get people to join the military and also buying war bonds. 

Another interesting bit from the presentations was the one about misinformation versus disinformation. Prior to this, I had always thought they were the same thing, but it turns out that is not the case. Misinformation is inaccurate information, but it is usually not intended to be that way. Disinformation on the other hand, is deliberately inaccurate information with the goal of deceiving people.

The most interesting thing that I learned about was the concept of an echo chamber. An echo chamber is an environment in which the same opinions are repeatedly voiced and promoted, thus people are not exposed to opposing views. When I think of an echo chamber, the first thing that comes to my head is social media. It is known that those apps have algorithms to cater the things we see to us, whether that be highlights of our favorite sports team, or our political agendas, so your social media feed is essentially an echo chamber in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: Our Relationship With Technology

    If I were to ask every single student at High Point University what the first thing they do in the morning is, an astounding majority of...